St. Theresa Catholic School History
Saint Theresa School opened its doors to 112 students, kindergarten through eighth grade, on September 2, 1948, in buildings from the Torne Military Hospital and Air Base, offering Catholic education and strong academic program for all of the Palm Springs area. The school was staffed by the Immaculate Heart Sisters from Los Angeles, California. The order devoted themselves to be witnesses of the Gospel by evangelizing through education and services that continues to this day.
In 1962 the Immaculate Heart Sisters moved into a new convent near the northwest corner of the school property. The convent was a gift of the Bob and Dolores Hope Family. The Immaculate Heart Sisters created a stain glass window that can still be seen today.
In 1987, a five-year plan was developed to construct a state-of-the-art campus. Under the leadership of Sister Alice Dunphy, BVM and Monsignor Malachy McGinn, an eight-classroom building and a library/learning center (currently our middle school/STEM education building) were completed in May 1992 followed by the completion of the administration building in 1993.
In June 1997, the Sisters of Charity of the Blessed Virgin Mary (BVM) concluded their service at St. Theresa Catholic School. In 2008, Saint Theresa Catholic School celebrated its 60th Anniversary founded by the Immaculate Sisters. The convent that housed the Sisters was remodeled to house the St. Theresa Catholic School Preschool program. Funding for this renovation was provided by Bob and Dolores Hope Family, St. Theresa Catholic School families and parishioners. The Preschool opened its door in September 2004 to three and four-year-olds changing the school’s grade structure to include preschool through eighth grade. In the twenty-one year period after the Immaculate Sisters left, four lay principals have continued the charism of the Sisters through service and providing an excellent Catholic education to the greater Palm Springs Community.